weekly reel December 20, 2015
MUSIC! Tons of excellent grooves this week, thanks to Bandcamp's end of year best of. Go start with the screaming brass of TOO MANY ZOOZ...
F NOTE by TOO MANY ZOOZ (bandcamp.com)
The Internet EP by TOO MANY ZOOZ (bandcamp.com)
... relax with a few sips of Dawn of Midi's delicious piano electronica...
Dysnomia by Dawn of Midi (bandcamp.com)
... and headbob on Vulfpeck's Beastie Boy-esque funk:
Mit Peck by Vulfpeck (bandcamp.com)
Vollmilch by Vulfpeck (bandcamp.com)
My First Car by Vulfpeck (bandcamp.com)
Fugue State by Vulfpeck (bandcamp.com)
Thrill of the Arts by Vulfpeck (bandcamp.com)
- [fr] Assigné, une journée avec un assigné à résidence. Kafkaïen. Via Tristan Nitot.
"Une assignation à résidence n’est pas spectaculaire : c’est même dramatiquement banal. Ce qui ne la rend pas moins redoutable."
- What is the XY problem? "The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem."
- SMBC's "GUIDE TO WRITING A THANKYOU CARD FOR SEX" made my day.
- [fr] Alexandre Delaigue : Vertus et vices de la comédie sécuritaire. Rien de neuf pour qui lit Schneier, mais en français et par un économiste qui sait écrire.
- This guy searches Amazon for the worst things you can buy, via waxy links.
A piece of plastic is a piece of plastic, but there's someone slamming two billion dollars' worth of surplus capital into a bank account because of it, and there are two million workers in Asia who have to make the product for pennies. There's the person who buys it and the person who gets it as a gift. There's the man or woman at the store who has to put it on the shelf, and someone who has to take it off the shelf at the warehouse and mail it. Who are they? What do they think? What does it mean for our future as a species? The issue I'm trying to get at with this body of writing is that our happiness has been pulled from us bit by bit, by industry, by labor, by law, and is being sold back to us at a profit. I have empathy for the seven billion people in the world that try to quiet their own sadness by purchasing products. The products themselves are a global self-perpetuating emotional and economic problem.
- Waxy: Lying with a zero axis.
- Mike Fikes - State of ClojureScript.
- Voight-Kampff empathy test 2015. Via waxy links.
- 2011 drug harms rankings, thx frangin.
- Waxy: tracking the "Trump is a comment section running for president" joke.
- A 100-year-old church in Spain transformed into a skate park covered in murals by Okuda San Miguel.
- Adobes record revenue proves successful business transformation is possible. Good for them!
- A day in the life of Americans, mesmerizing. Via waxy links.
- Matt Haughey: Putting dildos into the hands of powerful conservatives.
- The best Twitter bots of 2015, via waxy links who also mentions Deep Forger, YouTube Artifact, and Wow So Portland.