weekly reel March 3, 2019
Bonjour bonsoir, folks! Music, with a good'ol'Clues.
Clues - Ledmonton (youtube-nocookie.com)
And on the news,
- SSC / Scott Alexander - Rule thinkers in, not out, 👍👍👍.
- Kottke: Cheap TVs and exorbitant education, modern America in one chart, wooooow amazing chart.
- About face, on rising fascism in 'merica. Via jwz.
- SSC / Scott Alexander - Wage stagnation: more than you wanted to know.
- Kottke: The life-changing magic of the $15 minimum wage.
- SMBC: Douchey Robot Bosses, on human guilt. And ULTRA-LASERS.
- Canadians! It's tax season; use SimpleTax, which Isa says is refreshingly simple, pay-what-you-want, and built by a small local team. ❤ Isa.
- Cooler Screens: Creeping on you in the cold drinks aisle.
- The Verge - The trauma floor: the secret lives of Facebook moderators in America, to which SSC / Scott Alexander - In mod we trust offers good counterpoints. Also, Guardian - Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws.
- DF reports on Turnaround Time on Facebook’s Spying: 12 Hours and I'm not even surprised.
- Cooool lessons & sounds: DOOM: Behind the music. Merci Heinz.
- Finally, a fascinating piece of politics-around-video-games: "Devotion" game is being review-bombed on Steam by Chinese players (pcgamer article), then removed from Steam rps article on removal. Removal is unlinkable from outside Steam, but reads beautifully Orwellian:
Due to technical issues that cause unexpected crashes and among other reasons, we are pulling Devotion off from steam store to have another complete QA check. At the same time we'd like to take this opportunity to ease the heightened pressure in our community resulted from our previous Art Material Incident, our team would also review our game material once again making sure no other unintended materials was inserted in. Hopefully this would help all audience to focus on the game itself again upon its return.