weekly reel February 15, 2015
Beautiful Take away show of Benjamin Clementine.
Benjamin Clementine - Condolence (youtube-nocookie.com)
The album is simply sublime. One more song, Winston Churchill's boy:
Benjamin Clementine - Winston Churchill's boy (youtube-nocookie.com)
- The AI revolution: the road to superintelligence and The AI revolution: our immortality or extinction, a couple of well-sourced and wide-ranging vulgarization articles by Tim Urban on artificial intelligence and post-singularity perspectives. Via kottke.
- The coming American megadrought of 2050.
- How a lone hacker shredded the myth of crowdsourcing and the related Crowdsourcing Dilemma research paper, via waxy links.
Crowdsourcing offers unprecedented potential for solving tasks efficiently by tapping into the skills of large groups of people. A salient feature of crowdsourcing---its openness of entry---makes it vulnerable to malicious behavior. Such behavior took place in a number of recent popular crowdsourcing competitions. We provide game-theoretic analysis of a fundamental tradeoff between the potential for increased productivity and the possibility of being set back by malicious behavior. Our results show that in crowdsourcing competitions malicious behavior is the norm, not the anomaly---a result contrary to the conventional wisdom in the area. Counterintuitively, making the attacks more costly does not deter them but leads to a less desirable outcome. These findings have cautionary implications for the design of crowdsourcing competitions.
- Long-term support considered harmful.
Upgrades only get harder and more painful (and more fragile) the longer one goes between them. More changes, more damage. Frequent upgrades amortize the cost and ensure that regressions are caught early. No one upgrade is likely to end in disaster because there simply isn’t enough change for that to happen.
- Why animals eat psychoactive plants, on drug use in history, parallels to other mammals, and repression.
- [fr, nsfw] L'amour existe encore, par Anne Archet. Joyeuse Saint Valenfoutre.
- Inside the Chinese Bitcoin Mine That's Making $1.5M a Month, via HN.
- Vice on Casanova, the 1980s Hollywood party robot, via waxy links.
- HeartForth, "<3 <3 An Emoji stack language <3 <3" via waxy links.