weekly reel January 17, 2016
Bonjour, and music, with Chelsea Wolfe:
Abyss by CHELSEA WOLFE (bandcamp.com)
News news news:
- RIP David Bowie, 1947-2016, and Peter Welch - When gods die.
- David Kaplan - When hardware must "just work" : an inside look at x86 CPU design. Via a HN thread discussing an Intel Skylake crash.
- Bruce Schneier - Replacing judgment with algorithms, about China's consideration for a "social credit" system, mimicking/broadening the US's credit score.
- EFF: Cisco must be held accountable for aiding China's human rights abuses, via HN.
- Heliocentrism vs geocentrism, cool visualization.
- Glyph - Stop working so hard, follow-up to an HN exchange with John Carmack.
- Python's mutable default arguments are your friend, via Planet Python.
- How Donald Trump answers a question.
- Forbes forces readers to turn off ad blockers, promptly serves malware.
- Aliaksei Zholner - V8 working paper engine model, via colossal.