weekly reel February 14, 2016
Music: Milk & Bone via Chilly Gonzo, and The Jon Cohen Experimental, thx Laurie:
Little Mourning by Milk & Bone (bandcamp.com)
Passion Pilgrim by Jon Cohen Experimental (bandcamp.com)
- NYT: Gravitational waves detected, confirming Einstein's theory, great video. LIGO is running an AmA.
- My little sister taught me how to Snapchat like the teens, via waxy links, WJW. Nice analysis by kottke too.
- [fr] Afghanistan : les petites reines de Kaboul, via Nouveau Projet.
- Taskwarrior's What have we learned from this opensource project?
- Soylent dick, via waxy links.
- [qc] IRIS - Ces mythes fiscaux qui ne s’en vont pas.
- The Zen of Erlang.
- Paul Lewis - The cost of frameworks, and Paul Lewis - CORS for concern which links to Anne van Kesteren - Same-origin policy and I finally understand why CORS exists.
- SMBC#4015 - Philosophy tip about using the word 'true'.
- How to win at Monopoly and lose all your friends, via kottke. Nice histofactoid too:
Monopoly was, in fact, a rip-off of "The Landlord's Game", a game designed decades earlier by Elizabeth Magie, a proponent of Georgism. The game was designed to teach children about the inherent unfairness of the capitalist land-grabbing system, and demonstrate how it enriches landlords while impoverishing tenants. Interestingly, it also included rules for a co-operative, anti-monopolist "Prosperity Game", in which victory was achieved when all players had at least double their original stake.