weekly reel April 30, 2017
Bonjour les amis. Music, with good lazy grungey rock from Boston, Pile:
A Hairshirt of Purpose by Pile
A Hairshirt of Purpose by Pile (bandcamp.com)
Meanwhile, around the interwebs:
- AI / Machine Learning and society:
- Maciej Cegłowski - Build a better monster: Morality, machine learning, and mass surveillance, via Trivium. HN blah.
- Kevin Kelly: The AI cargo cult, via waxy.
- DHH: Google won't be able to resist listening in on your conversations.
- Less serious talk from Maciej: Superintelligence. Good objections on HN.
- TIL about road dieting and induced demand, a.k.a. why adding traffic lanes (or bridges) doesn't reduce road congestion. Merci Elsa.
- On ethics in (software) engineering: Jacques Mattheij - Just say no. Via HN.
- The exponential view #110 on Google/Amazon/Facebook monopolies:
- [fr] Science Étonnante - Alcool, hormones & décisions.
- Linus Akesson - A mind is born, impressive 256 bytes(!) C64 demo.
- This week in Silicon Valley, Man who owns car company thinks we should build public transit system for cars (👏 for the title, Gruber) and Amazon Echo Look (HN), this is--whoa, need to puke; Alexa, fast, I need a bucket delivered to under my mouth NOW.
- Kottke found an Endless robotic loop of a toy train.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese: