weekly reel July 03, 2017
Nuage Fou by Nuage Fou (bandcamp.com)
La Femme - Saisis la corde (youtube-nocookie.com)
La Femme - Hypsoline (youtube-nocookie.com)
On the news,
- [fr] #Datagueule 73 : Des obéissances civiles ?
- UChicago - Brain drain: the mere presence of one's own smartphone reduces available cognitive capacity, via HN.
- Hyperproductive development, 👍.
We know [a system] because we wrote it, typically. It is extremely difficult to establish this level of intimacy with an existing system. Braitenberg calls this the "Law of Downhill Invention, Uphill Analysis". Complex systems are easier to build than to figure out after they're working.
- The bloodstained leveler, via The Exponential.
Throughout history, plagues and wars have left greater equality in their wake. Can we get there again without violence?
- NYT: The real threat of Artificial Intelligence, via The Exponential.
Most of the money being made from artificial intelligence will go to the US and China. A.I. is an industry in which strength begets strength … [Other nations] will essentially become [those] country’s economic dependent, taking in welfare subsidies in exchange for letting the “parent” nation’s A.I. companies continue to profit. A.I. is presenting us with an opportunity to rethink economic inequality on a global scale.
- Kottke: Google search data shows a crisis of self-induced abortions, highest in parts of the country where access to abortion is most difficult.
- [fr/qc] IRIS : Les médecins québécois au goulag?
- David Cain: The alternative to thinking all the time, another good mindfulness + slowing down + de-ruminating reminder from David.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese: