weekly reel July 23, 2017
HELLO, FRENDZ. Fire your best headphones to let your ears indulge with a good sip of Pale Ravine's delicious bass.
Pale Ravine (Bonus Edition) by Deaf Center (bandcamp.com)
- Mike Monteiro: On my second birthday we landed on the moon, "A fifty year retrospective of trying to live with all of you on this goddamn planet". Via Kottke.
- [fr] Tristant Nitot livre un bienvenu résumé du projet de loi antiterroriste.
- Benedict Evans: Creation and consumption, via DF. So true (emphasis mine):
"It seems to me that when people talk about what you ‘can’t’ do on a device, there are actually two different meanings of ‘can’t’ in computing. There is ‘can’t’ as meaning the feature doesn’t exist, and there is ‘can’t’ as meaning you don’t know how to do it. If you don’t know how to do it, the feature might as well not be there. So, there is what an expert can’t do on a smartphone or tablet that they could do on a PC.
But then, there are all of the things that a normal person (the other 90% or 95%) can’t do on a PC but can do on a smartphone, because the step change in user interface abstraction and simplicity means that they know how to do it on a phone and didn’t know how to do it on a PC. That is, the step change in user interface models that comes with the shift from Windows and Mac to iOS and Android is really a shift in the accessibility of capability. A small proportion of people might temporarily go from can to can’t, but vastly more go from can’t to can."
- One tree, one year, "a quiet reminder that the world goes on without us."
- [fr] Les instruits toujours mieux informés, pour les autres, il y a Facebook et Hanouna, "l’information de qualité est désormais sous clef". Via Nitot.
- Andreas Gal: Firefox marketshare revisited. HN.
- SMBC: Voters and Hey kid!
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese: