weekly reel October 01, 2017
On The Go (Special Edition) by Matthew Halsall (bandcamp.com)
Impossible Spaces by Sandro Perri (bandcamp.com)
WANDER/WONDER by BALAM ACAB (bandcamp.com)
Guitar Module 2017 by Upper Wilds (bandcamp.com)
Broken Homeland by Valparaiso (bandcamp.com)
On the news,
- From The morning paper, a quintet of super neat papers on traps in conducting A/B testing and dissecting the results in a statistically-sound way: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- [fr] Alain Deneault : L’extrême centre mou
- Dull Men’s Club: [fr] Au Club des hommes ternes, on s’isole du brouhaha de la vie, via Nouveau Projet.
- Exponential View #133: China special
-  The Executive Computer, cool article digging by DF.
- Yoshua Bengio: MILA and the future of Theano, refreshingly humble announcement for a big software project:
We are proud that most of the innovations Theano introduced across the years have now been adopted and perfected by other frameworks. Being able to express models as mathematical expressions, rewriting computation graphs for better performance and memory usage, transparent execution on GPU, higher-order automatic differentiation, for instance, have all become mainstream ideas.
In that context, we came to the conclusion that supporting Theano is no longer the best way we can enable the emergence and application of novel research ideas. Even with the increasing support of external contributions from industry and academia, maintaining an older code base and keeping up with competitors has come in the way of innovation.
MILA is still committed to supporting researchers and enabling the implementation and exploration of innovative (and sometimes wild) research ideas, and we will keep working towards this goal through other means, and making significant open source contributions to other projects.
- First Lesson, "a short documentary about beginners".
- [fr/qc] Légalisation du cannabis : quel modèle retenir ?
- Matt Holt (from Caddy): The realities of being a FOSS maintainer.
- [fr] Le Monde : Le meilleur attaché de presse de Marcel Proust était Marcel Proust, le petit coquin.
- jwz: Finally got my Emacs setup right - A collection of Soviet control rooms.
- SMBC: Funtime activity: ruining positive social interactions by the introduction of money.
- RPS: The biggest theft in EVE Online history, this game is crazy.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese: