weekly reel December 24, 2017
Ho ho ho, friends. Music, with a 👍 new Cabaret Contemporain.
SATELLITE (EP) by Cabaret Contemporain (bandcamp.com)
- Ted Chiang: Silicon Valley is turning into its own worst fear, READ THIS NOW. Ted Chiang at his best: connecting things clearly and concisely.
Rest of the news:
- On 'merica (and its cultural neighbors):
- umair haque: What do you call a world that can’t learn from itself?, "Why don’t Americans understand how poor their lives are?" Via kottke.
- Huffpost - Michael Hobbes: Why millennials are facing the scariest financial future of any generation since the Great Depression, brutal article on the erosion of job security & social safety net in the US. Via waxy.
- The oatmeal - How to be perfectly unhappy.
- David Cain: Go deeper, not wider and Max Lukominskyi: Why learning is a new procrastination, 👍.
- [fr] Willy Miermans : Trois vérités qui dérangent pour ceux qui veulent résoudre le problème d'embouteillages.
- TED / Drew Berry: Animations of unseeable biology (DNA replication & chromosomes), thx Guéna.
- Atlantic: The most 2017 photos ever, via kottke.
- Kottke: Playing video games as meditation.
- Polygon's 50 best games of 2017
- [fr] Korben : Bitcoin est-il une monnaie écolo ?
- Wired: The other tech bubble. "Silicon Valley techies still think they're the good guys. They're not".
- Citylab: The extreme Amazon bidder just got real, oÔ.
Chula Vista is offering free land; Fresno is ceding community control; and New Jersey is offering $7 billion in incentives. Here’s what else we know about the 30 publicly available Amazon HQ2 bids.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese:
- Slate: A flight of sycophancy, "A line-by-line breakdown of Mike Pence’s master class in toadyism"
- WaPo: It’s ‘very gold’: The presidential coin undergoes a Trumpian makeover.