weekly reel January 14, 2018
Well, hello there. Have a sip of Dominique A.
Dominique A - L'Océan & Eleor | A Take Away Show (youtube-nocookie.com)
On the news,
- WSJ - Twelve days in Xinjiang: how China’s surveillance state overwhelms daily life, "government has turned the remote region into a laboratory for its high-tech social controls".
- The Good War: How America’s infatuation with World War II has eroded our conscience, awesome comic adaptation of Chris Haye's Good war on terror.
- Alone on an island, "The challenge of true solitude".
- [fr] D'où viennent les nuages ? — Science étonnante #50.
- The Pudding Awards 2017, neat dataviz / "visual storytelling" selection. Via waxy.
- Why Mickey Mouse’s 1998 copyright extension probably won’t happen again, 👍.
- Ravioli cat bath rap, merci Isabelle.
- SMBC: Make love.
- The network Uber drivers built. Kinda-startofa-union? Ride-hailing drivers are banding together to better understand the plans, policies and behaviour of their gig^H^H^H exploitation platforms. Via EV148.
- The growing body of evidence that digital distraction damages our minds. HN.
- ... and Two major apple shareholders push for study of phone addiction in children, good. HN.
- A letter about Google AMP; to which Google answers they might do something, but AMP will still suck.
- Reminder: Chrome is turning into the new Internet Explorer 6, and recent Firefoxes are Real Good Stuff™.
- Typical Programmer: What does code readability mean? 👍👍👍.
- More tracking? More tracking. Games using phone microphones to track what you’re watching on TV, and No boundaries for user identities: Web trackers exploit browser login managers. An attempt at at least inspecting the problem on Android: Εxodus "is a privacy auditing platform for Android applications".
- Joel Spolsky: Birdcage liners, on how Facebook/Twitter initial UX/ML choices determined what kind of discussions emerged. Curious to see if New Ethical Facebook™ will stick to their "making people more connected and less lonely" target.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese:
- NYT: US North Carolina congressional map ruled unconstitutionally gerrymandered by the Republican-controlled General Assembly. Good.
- How Haiti became poor, WJW, didn't know half of that. And Scalzi: Trump is a racist. Stop pretending otherwise.