weekly reel February 25, 2018
Hola. Music with Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou, thx Ali.
Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou – Éthiopiques 21 : Piano Solo (youtube-nocookie.com)
- Kottke: Olympics, male & female physiology, and socially constructed bodies.
- Kurzgesagt: Homeopathy explained – Gentle healing or reckless fraud?
- Kottke: Warren Buffett wins ten-year bet about S&P outperforming hedge funds.
- SSC / Scott Alexander - Technological unemployment & comments highlights, a historical peek at "will machines steal our jobs (this time)?"
- Cao Shu: One minute art history, via [fr] Nouveau Projet.
- Funfunfunction: Bad jobs, family and depression.
- Om Malik: The #1 reason Facebook won’t ever change: "Facebook is about making money by keeping us addicted to Facebook. It always has been — and that’s why all of our angst and headlines are not going to change a damn thing". Or, quoting Sinclair, “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it”.
- 💩😷⚠ Donaldese, 'merica, and guns:
- Newt Gingrich says arming teachers only long-term solution to school shootings.
- jwz: Thoughts and prayers and NRA funding.
- Inside the Federal Bureau of Way Too Many Guns; "By law, the system must remain intricate, thorny, and all but impenetrable."
- Kottke: American teens have had it with authoritarian crap, 👍 classroom idea.
- When you're such a sociopath that your staff hands you cue cards explaining how to feign empathy.
- Josh Marshall: Gun rights, ‘positive good’ and the evolution of Mutually Assured Massacre.
Comments and feedback welcome by email.