weekly reel February 03, 2019
Hello folks. Music, with the !@#$% efficient and pummeling The Armed.
ONLY LOVE by The Armed (bandcamp.com)
- NG: Take a train through North Korea's rarely seen countryside.
- [fr/qc] En r'venant de St-Hilarion, belles images. Via Nouveau Projet.
- Paul Graham: The submarine (2005), on PR and news authenticity.
- Good Kottke this week:
- The lure of the spider-tailed horned viper. 👍 job, evolution. To which Heinz -merci Heinz- answers with [fr] la menace imminente de l'hétérochronie.
- It’s so cold out! Where’s the global warming?!
- “Closeness lines”: Lovely visualizations of relationships over time.
- xkcd #2105: Modern OSI Model rings sooooo true.
- Russ Cox: Our software dependency problem; HN.
- This week's Facebook shitshow was fun! TechCrunch: Facebook pays teens to install "research" VPN that spies on them (HN). Aussi, [fr] un résumé par Tristan Nitot : Scandale Facebook de la semaine : Onavo, le VPN espion. DF covers how Apple revoked Facebook’s enterprise developer certificates, comments on what not to say about it, and notes that fucking Google had a similar data collection VPN app distributed to iPhones as an enterprise beta. Walt Mossberg comments on Twitter that you can go elsewhere much worse if Apple's control of iOS seems excessive to you. Also, as if nothing, Facebook moves to block ad transparency tools.
- The Cloud, a.k.a. Files are for old people:
My kid explained MP3s to a friend as "like printing off an internet article, so you can keep it around, because some people like that, I guess".