weekly reel June 30, 2019
Bonjour bonsoir, friends. These weeks music is: Flavien Berger, new Thom Yorke, Angel Bat Dawid, Raven, Jesus Horse, and Shh...Diam!
CONTRE-TEMPS by Flavien Berger (bandcamp.com)
Thom Yorke - Not the news (youtube-nocookie.com)
The Oracle by Angel Bat Dawid (bandcamp.com)
Theta OSC 03 by Raven (bandcamp.com)
It Was The Blurst Of Times by Jesus Horse (bandcamp.com)
Eat Your Local Fruits by Shh...Diam! (bandcamp.com)
On the news,
- [fr] Environnement :
- Kottke: Uncompetitive purposefulness and infinity cake, 👍.
- Kottke: The Apollo 11 mission in realtime.
- SMBC: Teaching.
- Pretty great Scott Alexander / Slate Star Codex on knowledge & tradition:
- Epistemic learned helplessness, on how aiming at broadly & constantly believing arguments is insane, because arguments are easy to make and the time to evaluate them is limited.
- Book review: The secret of our success and List of passages I highlighted in my copy of “The secret of our success” are helping me reconcile with tradition. They demonstrate why today's standard "demand logical justification for everything" rationalism should give tradition a break, because the value of many traditional practices is impossible to figure out / experiment within the span of a lifetime. The examples from the highlights are fascinating, I'm buying and devouring this book.
- Asymmetric weapons gone bad offers guidelines to integrate our civilization's rationality with traditions.
- Addendum to “Enormous nutshell”: competing selectors draws parallels with right vs. left wing.
- Mozilla announces Track THIS, a cute search engine bomb. If the trend continues, I predict a divorce with Google sweet ad dollarz by end 2019, and they'll find money elsewhere (gosh, they could even ask their users for some?!), and it will be a good thing further aligning Mozilla with users interests. HN blah.
- Meanwhile, Google’s new reCAPTCHA has a dark side, of course yes. HN, which points to this reCAPTCHA demo I didn't know about, which lets you see your reCAPTCHA score.
My results: Using Firefox with uBlock and Cookie-Autodelete I get 0.1. Using Chrome, even incognito and with uBlock I get 0.7. (╯°□°）╯︵ ┻━┻. Fuck you, Google, this is blatant bullying, technically unjustifiable abuse of your stranglehold over the whole web platform.
- [fr] Nitot : En vrac sur la technologie.
- EA: "We don't call them loot boxes", they're "surprise mechanics". 🖕.
- r/SubSimulatorGPT2is a subreddit where "all posts and comments in this subreddit are generated automatically using fine-tuned versions of the GPT-2 language model from OpenAI". Via SSC.
- Wired: Microsoft's ebook apocalypse shows the dark side of DRM. HN.