weekly reel April 19, 2020
Hi folks, and music, with Igorrr.
Spirituality and Distortion by Igorrr (bandcamp.com)
Around the interwebs,
- [fr] Science étonnante - Exactitude / reproductibilité des articles scientifiques, et impact sur les politiques publiques.
- xkcd: Garbage math.
Oxfordend-of-sentence reservoir comma.
- [fr/qc] IRIS - Il est temps de nationaliser les résidences pour personnes âgées.
- WaPo: Trump gets his name printed on stimulus checks. To which jwz finds comics echoes: "I'm the PRESIDENT. I've got the BOX. Damn STRAIGHT"
- I started reading Cory Doctorow's daily blog, Pluralistic. And gaaaaah it's full of greatamazinghopeful things made by lovely humans, but it's also full of close reporting on everything that's terrible about the USA. Not always an easy read. Here's a selection of the last few weeks, mostly about the virus.
- Trump will deliver killing blow to the US postal service. "1 Defund, 2 claim crisis, 3 call for privatization, 4 profit!"
- Austerity kills - California's missing medical stockpile.
- Right to Repair has never been more urgent.
- US stimulus is one week's cash.
Money at this scale is a social fiction. The government can support the economy for as long as it takes. That doesn't plunge a society into "debt". It's not money we "borrow" from China. We are lending it to ourselves.
- 80% of the stimulus tax break will go to 43,000 people.
- Health insurance industry in rosy good health.
- Atlantic: After social distancing, a strange purgatory awaits, via Kottke.
- NYT: A week inside New York’s public hospitals.
- jwz: "We are taking COVID-19 seriously".
- ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Finland accepts the demoscene on its national UNESCO list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️. HN.
- Hail the 501 developer manifesto.
- KRAZAM: Microservices 😄.
- Violet Blue: Zoom is now 'the Facebook of video apps', and Alex Sexton: A message about security from the CEO of Zoom.
- Public domain backgrounds for Zoom 😄.