weekly reel June 7, 2020
Hi frendz, and music, with new Carrom.
"Alter-destinies" EP by CARROM (bandcamp.com)
- Scott Alexander: Creationism, unchallenged.
- [fr] Mediapart / Usul - Faut-il éradiquer les écoles de commerce ?
- Wikipedia: Sortition. HN.
- Wikipedia: Procedure Words, via HN. Fun stories behind a few of them 🙂.
- Police brutality in the USA and elsewhere:
- [fr/qc] JF Hotte : La police et l'état doivent changer.
- Kottke: Jane Elliott's "A class divided", a lesson in discrimination.
- Kottke: Research on how to stop police violence.
- BBC on the success rate of violent vs. non-violent protests.
- Kottke: Are they police? Or an army?
- jwz: One riot-gear load can buy 55 front-line care workers full personal protection equipment.
- Kottke: Increasingly rightwing police unions have made policing more dangerous in America.
- US police brutality supercuts by Jordan Uhl & Greg Doucette: 1, 2, 3.
- jwz: Everyone at Facebook is qwhite complicit.
- snakeware "is a free Linux distro with a Python userspace inspired by the Commodore 64. You are booted directly into a Python interpreter, which you can use to do whatever you want with your computer. [...] Our window manager, snakewm, is based on pygame. We do not use X11; snakewm draws directly to
/dev/fb0". 👏. HN.
- Peter Welch: The problem with Bill Gates.
- DF: Zoom, still shitting the bed on security / encryption.
Comments and feedback welcome by email.