weekly reel August 16, 2020
Hola. Music, with more Gull, Ash Walker, Céu.
Skull by GULL (bandcamp.com)
Aquamarine by Ash Walker (bandcamp.com)
Tropix by Céu (bandcamp.com)
On the news,
- Mozilla lays off 250 employees while it refocuses on commercial products / HN. Also, Mozilla signs fresh Google search deal / HN.
- Federico Mena Quintero: "Rust does not have a stable ABI". HN.
- DF: ‘Uber CEO says its service will probably shut down temporarily in California if it’s forced to classify drivers as employees’, "an admission that Uber’s key innovation was to skirt labor law".
- Bijan Stephen: QWOP is real life, actually. Via waxy.
- DistroWatch - Q&A: Pros and cons of dynamic linking versus static linking.
- Drew DeVault: Web browsers need to stop.
- pycnocline: tech brain, 👏.
Lately, I have been trying to extricate myself from tech brain as much as I can. On twitter, this means muting most VCs and founders and everyone participating in the endless bullshit economy we’ve made for ourselves — I’d mute myself if I could — and instead following the people who choose to embrace complexity and thereby actually build things: systems experts, game designers, chip engineers, hackers, artists.
Turns out most people who actually build things are thoughtful and sincere, and very few of them give a single shit about whatever bad takes are circulating VC twitter that day.
I try to remind myself that instead of reading tweets that make me feel like my synapses are collapsing one by one, I could be learning new programming languages, reading papers on arxiv, debugging systems at work, reading poetry, listening to music, hanging out with my friends and engaging in messy human drama, which resists reduction more than anything else there is.