weekly reel January 9, 2022
Hi geeks. The weekly grooves are L'Éclair, merci Sam.
Sauropoda by L'Eclair (bandcamp.com)
[fr] André Grimaldi & Serge Slama @ Mediapart - Irresponsabilité des non-vaccinés.
[fr] La climatologue Valérie Masson-Delmotte commente le film “Don’t look up”.
[fr] Nitot - En vrac début 2022 climat & tech.
Real Engineering - Engineering the James Webb telescope and Smarter Every Day 262 - How does the James Webb Space Telescope work?.
Lots of crypto / “web3” blah this week. A selection, ordered from least to most ranty:
- Moxie - My first impressions of web3 (HN).
- Dave Troy: A historical background of cryptocurrencies and “sound money”.
- Laurie Voss - Crypto: the good, the bad and the ugly.
- Molly White: Blockchain-based systems are not what they say they are and It’s not still the early days.
- Nicholas Weaver - The web3 fraud.
- jwz swearing on Mozilla marketing after they contradict Mozilla’s own public environmental commitments, and broadening the rant with How the cryptobros have fallen. Which worked, see Mozilla stepping back (HN) and jwz: Mozilla blinked.
Also, The Verge: Signal’s plausibly incoming integration of easy crypto payments will attract criminals and could offer an excuse for regulators to eliminate end-to-end encrypted chat. Via nelson.
Linus Akesson: Monti On The 'Bin and Qwertuoso.
The Wire - Tek Fog: A social media manipulation tool popular in India to help “Cyber troops” push and amplify right-wing messages.